Sunday, July 1, 2012

Steeped In Excellence


One of the hardest kinds of food establishments to find in America today is a tea house.  What’s even harder to find than that is a GOOD tea house.  After all, America has been a coffee culture since it became a country.  But not too long ago, I stumbled upon a small tea house and bistro in Mission Viejo called Coffee, Tea, and Tulips, and after eating and drinking here many times, I (a hard core coffee drinker and caffeine addict) have come to the conclusion that if Americans were exposed to more tea houses of this quality, that our coffee centric tendencies could start to change.

I’ll start with the tea and its usual companions.  I’ve tried the Earl Grey with Lavender, Peach Blossom, Ginger Peachy Kean, Blue Eyes, Maté, and Midnight in Paris. The Earl Grey is on the more full bodied side with subtle but noticeable lavender undertones; both of the peach teas are refreshing and light; the Blue Eyes is fruity, zesty and slightly sweet, and is one of the most popular teas they offer; the Maté is shockingly good, most Maté I’ve had resembles what I imagine the inside of a hamster cage to taste like, but this was actually nice; Midnight in Paris is a black tea with a number of flavorings, primarily coconut. A session of tea drinking isn’t complete without scones, and Chef Michael (aka the Moody Chef) makes some of the best I’ve had anywhere. They are moist and light on the inside, very slightly crisp on the outside, and the perfect amount of sweet. He serves them with preserves and homemade clotted cream. That’s right, HOMEMADE CLOTTED CREAM, I know, it makes me happy too. This in and of itself is enough reason for you to turn off your computer and drive to Mission Viejo right now, but they don’t just make great tea and scones and call it quits, there’s food too… good food.

The food at Coffee, Tea, and Tulips is a fusion of Mediterranean, French, and Middle Eastern flavors.  I dined here last week and got a little sampling of the menu.  I started with some tea and a special scone made with lemon and basil and it was perhaps the best scone I have ever eaten.  Next, I had the turkey sandwich which has turkey (duh) avocado, bacon, sundried tomato, gorgonzola, and pesto. Then, I had a tomato salad with egg, olive tapenade, and an anchovy which was delicious and roasted vegetable bruschetta.  By this time I was beyond full so I had to throw in the towel, but everything I ate was of the highest quality, beautifully presented, and most importantly delicious.

The service at Coffee, Tea, and Tulips is impeccable. Michael and Lina are friendly, fun, and make sure that every customer has the best dining experience that they possibly can. Every time I go I end up staying long after the food is gone just hanging out and talking with them, usually over a couple of Turkish coffees ( which, by the way, are great if you’ve never had one).  Coffee, Tea, and Tulips is the perfect neighborhood bistro. Whether you want afternoon tea, lunch, or coffee and conversation, you can find what you’re looking for. Tell the Moody Chef William sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bite me...no, really.